Create a favicon in Photoshop
Works with Adobe Photoshop CS3 Mac and PC Platforms.
- Create a new Photoshop document 16×16 pixels or a multiple of this such as 32×32, 64×64. We can optimise the image size later on.
- If you want a transparent favicon, make sure the background of the image is transparent. If not, a quick way of removing the background is to select it using the magic wand and hitting delete. or select the background with the magic wand – Click the Photoshop Select menu and select Similar. That should select all the background in one hit – hit the delete key to remove the background.
- Save this as your Photoshop favicon Master
- Now go to File – Save for Web & Devices in the Photoshop menu
- Select GIF, click transparency on if required (diffusion transparency filter should be fine), set image size to 16×16 pixels and save.
- Reopen this gif file in Photoshop and finally save it as an icon file.